- Course Schedule
- Latest News
You are here
Certificate in Catholic Theology
The purpose of the Certificate in Catholic Theology is to provide students with a course of study in the area of the foundations of Catholic theology. This course of study constitutes fulfillment of the requirements for archdiocesan professional certification of lay ecclesial ministers, and it may be used as a component of the Associate of Arts in Ministry (A.A.M.) degree or the Bachelor of Arts (A.B.) degree. This course of study is available in a traditional classroom format in English and Spanish. This course of study also may be completed in its entirety in an online format (English language only).
SHMS strives to instill in the recipients of the Certificate in Catholic Theology an ability to demonstrate a basic understanding of the content of the Roman Catholic faith, as shown through the following competencies:
- Demonstrate the use of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Sacred Scripture, and some conciliar documents for the study of Catholic Theology.
- Identify basic tenets of the Catholic faith.
Course of Study (13 credit hours)
|THE 123||Introduction to the Catholic Faith||2 cr|
|THE 210||Introduction to Liturgy and Sacraments||2 cr|
|THE 219||Introduction to the Catholic Church||2 cr|
|THE 249||Introduction to Sacred Scripture||3 cr|
|THE 243||Introduction to Spirituality||2 cr|
|THE 274||Introduction to Moral Theology||2 cr|
- A minimum of 13 credits must be earned through completion of the course of study.
- A minimum of seven semester hours of credit must be earned at SHMS.
- The student must maintain a C average (2.0).
- The student must participate in an assessment process of the program.
See a complete list of our Undergraduate Course Descriptions.
See our Academic Catalogs for this and past academic years.
Admissions information for the Certificate in Catholic Theology can be found on the Undergraduate Admissions page.