You are here
Post Graduate Certificate in the New Evangelization
The primary purpose for offering this Post-Graduate Certificate is to provide a way for those who already have an M.A., M.A.P.S., or M.DIV. degree an opportunity to do some substantial study in the New Evangelization without enrolling for an S.T.L. degree in the S.T.L. program. It is designed for those who do not have the prerequisites to enroll in the S.T.L. program for an S.T.L. degree or do not have the time/desire to complete another degree. In addition, at the discretion of the dean of studies, the Certificate may be granted to a student who was admitted into the S.T.L. program but was not able to complete it successfully for whatever reason, but who took enough courses to satisfy the requirements for the Certificate. The Certificate would be granted under the authority of Sacred Heart Major Seminary and the School of Theology. This Certificate is another way we as an institution can accomplish our stated primary goal of “Preparing Heralds for the New Evangelization.”
- An understanding of the historical roots, the scriptural and doctrinal foundations, and the main magisterial pronouncements related to the New Evangelization.
- An understanding of the essential link between spirituality and evangelization.
- An understanding of the various ways in which evangelization has been carried out in the history of the Church and is being carried out today in a variety of models and methods.
- An understanding of the collaborative relationship between clergy and laity that is necessary for the success of the new evangelization.
- An understanding of the various cultural situations in which the New Evangelization must take place.
Course of Study
Required Courses: (3 credits)
|STL/NE 865||Theology of the New Evangelization||3cr|
|STL/NE 868||Evangelization and Spirituality||3cr|
|STL/NE 872||Models of Evangelization||3cr|
Elective Courses: (3 credits or 2 credits; student’s choice)
One STL level course on Scripture.
One STL level course on Moral Theology
One STL level course of the student’s choosing.
- A minimum of 15 credit hours must be earned through completion of the course of study.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 is required.
See our Bulletins for this and past academic years.
Admissions information for this program can be found on the Graduate Admissions page.