You are here
Gmail Migration Information
On January 16, 2017 Sacred Heart Major Seminary will be moving its email system from Zimbra to Gmail. This page is the definitive location for information regarding the migration.
What will be migrated?
- Email - The Educational Technology Department is responsible for migrating all existing email. All email and email folders currently in Zimbra will be copied to Gmail. Watch for an update in January about that process.
- Calendars - Each individual is responsible for moving this information from Zimbra to Google. See below for information.
- Contacts - Each individual is responsible for moving this information from Zimbra to Google. See below for more information.
- Briefcase - Each individual is responsible for moving this information from Zimbra to Google. Google Drive replaces Zimbra Briefcase. See below for more information.
If you have any questions that are not answered here:
- Check out the Gmail Migration FAQ - https://www.shms.edu/content/gmail-migration-faq
- Drop by the Educational Technology Office located on the ground floor at Sacred Heart.
- Fill out a support ticket with any questions you may have at http://support.shms.edu.
How do I log in to Gmail?
- Log in page: https://www.gmail.com.
- Please log in with your full email address and the password you currently use with Zimbra.
- Beginning January 16, the Educational Technology Department will use one of Google's migration tools to copy all email in Zimbra to Google. The procedure was tested extensively in October. Please watch for information in January regarding that process.
- In late November, settings were changed in Zimbra. The change directed all incoming email to go to both Zimbra and Gmail. Once the change to Gmail is made, you will have at least 45 days of email already in Gmail before anything is even copied.
- Please note that if you are forwarding your SHMS email in Zimbra to another account, you will need to setup a new forward in Gmail. Forwarding settings are not migrated.
- Each individual is responsible for moving his/her calendar data.
- You are free to begin using Google Calendar immediately. However, if you currently share your calendar with someone make sure they are aware if you move to Google Calendar.
- If you are sharing out your calendar in Zimbra, you will need to create new shares in Google Calendar.
- The SHMS Institutional, Weekly, and Cafeteria calendars will be migrated and shared out the week of January 9-13.
- Step-by-Step Migration Guide - How to move your calendar from Zimbra to Google.
- Each individual is responsible for moving his/her contacts from Zimbra to Google.
- This is also an opportunity to clean and update your contacts.
- Step-by-Step Migration Guide - How to move your contacts from Zimbra to Google.
- Google Drive has replaced Zimbra Briefcase. Please do not use Briefcase beyond January 16, 2017.
- Step-by-Step Migration Guide - How to move your Briefcase files to Google Drive.
A page with Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) regarding the migration is being updated as questions come in. Please refer to it for additional Information. Gmail Migration FAQ.