Undergraduate Intermediate Diploma in Diaconal Studies
Permanent Diaconate Programs
Any man interested in becoming a Permanent Deacon should contact the Office of Clergy and Consecrated Life of the Archdiocese of Detroit for information about the application process and formation. Academic preparation for those pursuing ordination as Permanent Deacons is accomplished through the courses of study at SHMS. Prospective students should contact the Institute for Ministry regarding the academic admissions process and the following curricula. Men aspiring to the permanent diaconate must complete prerequisite course work during their time of discernment. Men accepted into the permanent diaconate program must meet both the academic requirements of SHMS and the formational requirements of the Permanent Diaconate Program.
SHMS strives to instill in the recipients of the Intermediate Diploma in Diaconal Studies an ability to:
1. Articulate a broad knowledge of Catholic theology in the areas of Sacred Scripture, Catholic tradition and history, Catholic social teaching, sacraments and law.
2. Apply knowledge of Catholic theology in pastoral, catechetical, and liturgical settings.
Course of Study (40 credit hours)
|MNS 271||Pastoral Catechetics||2 cr|
|THE 337||Trinity and Christology||3 cr|
|THE 340||Church History||3 cr|
|THE 300||Catholic Social Teaching||3 cr|
|THE 320||Theology of Salvation and Mission||3 cr|
|THE 360||Sacraments of Initiation||3 cr|
|MNS 300||Canon Law for Parish Ministers||2 cr|
|MNS 315||Liturgical Prayer of the Church||2 cr|
|MNS 228||Introduction to Pastoral Counseling||2 cr|
|THE 350||Introduction to the Old Testament||3 cr|
|THE 353||Introduction to the Gospels and Acts||3 cr|
|THE 356||Introduction to Paul and the Catholic Epistles||3 cr|
|MNS 360||Diaconal Homiletics Practicum||3 cr|
|MNS 365||Diaconal Liturgical Practicum||3 cr|
|MNS 350||Reflection Seminar||2 cr|
- A minimum of 40 credit hours must be earned through completion of the course of study.
- The student must maintain a C average (2.0).
- A minimum of 21 semester hours of credit must be earned at SHMS.
- The student must participate in an assessment process of the program.