How to Apply
New commuter students must complete and submit, at a minimum, the following to be considered for admission:
- Online application—Apply Now!
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions where college-level academic credit has been earned. Transcripts must be sent directly, either electronically or via mail, from the academic institution to the Office of Admissions, Sacred Heart Major Seminary, 2701 West Chicago Blvd., Detroit, Michigan 48206.
- $30 admissions fee
- Contact the Office of Admissions at (313) 883-8520 or the online contact form and schedule an appointment to speak to an admissions representative.
Commuter students who wish to apply toward a specific academic program must also complete and submit the following:
- Two recommendation forms or letters; one of these forms/letters is preferably from the applicant’s pastor or a member of the pastoral staff.
- 500-word essay or statement intent; this essay should describe the applicant’s spiritual background and reasons for pursuing a degree, including future goals.
- Graduate Students Only: Applicants for graduate level programs must complete the GRE (Graduate Readiness Exam) and have scores sent to Sacred Heart Major Seminary. This test may be waived for applicants who have previously earned graduate-level academic credit or a graduate degree.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (MAPS) Applicants Only: Applicants must submit a formation application with signed recommendation from current pastor.
- Baccalaureate of Sacred Theology (S.T.B.) and Licentiate of Sacred Theology (S.T.L.) Applicants Only:
- Letter of support from proper ecclesiastical authority (i.e. diocesan bishop or religious superior)
- 15-20 page research writing sample from previous theological or philosophical work, demonstrating applicant’s aptitude and capacity for research.