Post Graduate Certificate in the New Evangelization
The primary purpose for offering this Post Graduate Certificate is to provide a way for those who already
have an MA, MAPS, or MDIV degree an opportunity to do some substantial study in the New
Evangelization without enrolling for an STL degree in the STL program. It is designed for those who do not
have the prerequisites to enroll in the STL program for an STL degree or do not have the time/desire to
complete another degree. In addition, at the discretion of the Dean of Studies, the Certificate may be
granted to a student who was admitted into the STL program but was not able to complete it successfully
for whatever reason, but who took enough courses to satisfy the requirements for the Certificate. The
Certificate would be granted under the authority of Sacred Heart Major Seminary and the School of
Theology. This Certificate is another way we as an institution can accomplish our stated primary goal of
“Preparing Heralds for the New Evangelization.”
For the admission process and requirements for the Post Graduate Certificate in the New Evangelization,
please refer to the admissions section of this document
- An understanding of the historical roots, the scriptural and doctrinal foundations, and the main magisterial pronouncements related to the New Evangelization.
- An understanding of the essential link between spirituality and evangelization.
- An understanding of the various ways in which evangelization has been carried out in the history of the Church and is being carried out today in a variety of models and methods.
- An understanding of the collaborative relationship between clergy and laity that is necessary for the success of the new evangelization.
- An understanding of the various cultural situations in which the New Evangelization must take place.
Course of Study
Required Courses: (3 credits)
STL/NE 865 Theology of the New Evangelization
STL/NE 868 Evangelization and Spirituality
STL/NE 872 Models of Evangelization
Elective Courses: (3 credits or 2 credits; student’s choice)
One STL level course on Scripture.
One STL level course on Moral Theology
One STL level course of the student’s choosing.
- A minimum of 15 credit hours must be earned through completion of the course of study.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 is required.