Certificate in Catholic Theology
The purpose of the Certificate in Catholic Theology at Sacred Heart Major Seminary is to provide students
with a course of study in the area of the foundations of Catholic theology. This course of study constitutes a
partial fulfillment of the requirements for archdiocesan professional certification of lay ministers, and it may
be used as a component of the Associate of Arts in Ministry (A.A.M.) degree or the Bachelor of Arts (A.B.)
degree. In addition to being offered in our customary format of courses taught in English, the courses that comprise
the Certificate in Catholic Theology are also offered in Spanish.
For the admissions process and requirements for the Certificate in Catholic Theology, please refer to the
admissions section of the website.
SHMS strives to instill in the recipients of the Certificate in Catholic Theology an ability to demonstrate a basic understanding of the content of the Roman catholic faith, such as:
- Demonstrate the use of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Sacred Scripture, and some conciliar documents for the study of Catholic theology.
- Identify basic tenets of the Catholic faith.
Course of Study (13 credits)
|THE 123||Introduction to Theology||2 cr|
|THE 210||Introduction to Liturgy and Sacraments||2 cr|
|THE 219||Introduction to the Catholic Church||2 cr|
|THE 249||Introduction to Sacred Scripture||3 cr|
|THE 243||Introduction to Spirituality||2 cr|
|THE 274||Introduction to Moral Theology||2 cr|
1. A minimum of 13 credits must be earned through completion of the course of study.
2. A minimum of 7 semester hours of credit must be earned at SHMS.
3. The student must maintain a C average (2.0).
4. The student must participate in an assessment process of the program.