Basic Diploma in Music Ministry Program
The purpose of the Basic Undergraduate Diploma Program in Music Ministry at Sacred Heart Major Seminary is to provide students with a course of study in the area of liturgical music ministry.
SHMS strives to instill in its Basic Undergraduate Diploma in Music Ministry recipients an ability to:
- Choose ritual music with some understanding of its function, appropriateness and musical value.
- Lead the faithful in song with their various instrumental/vocal disciplines, with basic integrity, discipline, and a sense of the beautiful.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of music theory, through the ability to read music and understand the basic function of harmony.
Course of Study (28 credit hours)
|CLA 161||Oral Communication||3 cr|
|THE 123||Introduction to Theology||2 cr|
|THE 249||Introduction to Sacred Scripture||3 cr|
|THE 210||Introduction to Liturgy & Sacraments||2 cr|
|MNS 315||Liturgical Prayer of the Church||2 cr|
|MUS 350||The Art of Liturgical Music||3 cr|
|MUS 219||Basic Theory/Ear Training I||2 cr|
|MUS 220||Basic Theory/Ear Training II||2 cr|
|MUS 215||Piano Proficiency||2 cr|
|MUS 315||Vocal Proficiency||2 cr|
|MUS 341||Ensemble||1 cr|
|MUS 221-4||Individual Instrumental Musica I-IV (O,P,V)||4 cr|
A portion of the required course work, determined in consultation with the student's academic advisor, may be completed through the Detroit Area Catholic Higher Education Consortium.
- A minimum of 28 credits must be earned through completion of the course of study.
- A minimum of 14 semester hours of credit must be earned at SHMS.
- The student must maintain a C average (2.0).
- The student must participate in 3 (three) Formation Sessions during the course of study.
- Theological Reflection
- Spiritual Direction
- The student must participate in an assessment process at the time of graduation.